Friday, April 07, 2006

STOP


I've always been a childish sort of a man. Back home I used to put on my driving shoes, hop into my car and head for my favourite roads around the reservoir; imagining that the selespeed gear shift on my steering wheel actually made me an F1 driver and that the bendy roads were a WRC circuit.
Childish fantasies.
Of course most of us know that there is no such thing as an F1 WRC circuit.
Of course all of us know that I am no racing driver.
Indulging in such fantasies, immersing in dreams and idle thought has always been a forte of mine. I even dare say that I am a natural talent or an expert in this field. Apparently, growing up has not evolved away such tendencies but merely masked them; masking them behind stubs of facial hair, wrinkles from a worn frown and dark eyebags. Yet I've always been silently proud of myself for thinking that I have mastered the art of indulging in fantasy with one foot firmly planted on the ground. Pragmatism. When it comes down to the crunch, I always seem to know that I need to snap out of my dream world and face the harsh reality of life. However of late my mastery of this magical ability seems to be lacking. On pain of sounding like a self apologist the only defence I can offer is that this dream has been going on for so long. I have been living in a dream world where home is still a few months away. Always a few months away.
But now I am running out of months and reality has started to bite. Nibbling at first but now with a vengence as its teeth sink beyond the numbed upper layers of my consciousness. So many things to do yet so much inertia. This is not about love or relationships. This is about doing the things that I need to do. This is the urgent call for pragmatism. The same pragmatism that has landed me in Law School over an "arts" degree. The same pragmatism that tells me that golf and photography are hobbies and not career options. The same pragmatism that tells me to dream and not make dreams my master.
It is time to press the STOP button and hop off the dream bus.
It is time to come home. Enough fun and games. Enough fantasy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep dreaming! the world needs dreamers and idealists to make it beautiful :)

3:31 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

And who will feed the dreamer? Perhaps they should set up a new enclosure for dreamers at the zoo! hahaha!

4:54 am  
Blogger Flowing Water said...

We stop living when we stop dreaming. So live on!

6:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home