Tuesday, February 07, 2006

One Man Band


Got back from Egypt yesterday morning. Really early in the morning. It was snowing when I got out of the train station. What a change from 25 degrees in the Sahara to -5 degrees in Aarhus.
It felt really strange to be back in Aarhus. The weather probably played a significant part but I suspect that there is a deeper underlying reason.
I feel really exhausted and a tad disoriented. Perhaps its because I have been travelling for 3 weeks with WJ in December, then back to Aarhus only to book my flight and "plan" my Egypt trip and then its off again for another 3 weeks.
For a moment, you forget where home is. Is home Aarhus? Or is it just an oasis, to rest and prepare for the next journey. After a while, you get used to living out of a backpack, sleeping in a different bed everynight, sometimes not even having a bed. After a while you get used to airports, overnight trains and foreign tongues. You get used to the food, the habits and the smells of a country. Yet this is the only way to experience another country. To stay up to the point where the country no longer seems too foreign for you, to the point where you can look beyond tourism and see the country for what it truly is. Where you are now equipped to see what makes that society function, not completely but at least you are allowed a deeper understanding. Staying any longer might allow you an even better view, but it also comes with the risk of getting sucked into its vortex.
So that is why I travel. Even if it tires me, even if i forget for a moment where home is. So that like the one man band, I may understand a country like how he understands an instrument, at least well enough to make a decent sound. And that I may put all my experiences in different countries together to make decent music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home