Friday, August 28, 2009

TWG


Hello! Goodbye!

'I have never settled. I have never said yes to someone else without reservation. I am not sure that I have said yes to life without reservations, as if by reserving something to myself, I would not be mangled, tangled, strangled by the demands of this world and the demands of others. It is not wise to give unreservedly. I am a generous person, kind and seeing, would withhold nothing except what must be withheld. There are gifts, and they are gladly given, but the self is a gift with reservation.'
~ Jeanette Winterson, Dog Days.

Perspective bring significance and the significance of a perspective is clearly evident when one compares Jeanette Winterson's view on life with that of Auden in 'The more Loving One'. 'If equal affection cannot be, Let the more loving one be me'. I wonder if there is a middle ground between these two perspectives or is it simply a matter of Hello and Goodbye; square peg, round hole?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home