Saturday, August 15, 2009

Selçuk


Orange scent.

I remember sitting in that wicker armchair, glad to escape the midday heat, relieved that I could finally rest my feet. The scent from the orange tree lingered in the air. If I close my eyes now, I can still see the shafts of sunlight piercing through the leafy canopy, spotlighting the finely laid tables, causing the cutlery to sparkle. In the background, the melody of a bubbling fountain soothed the frazzled nerves but was suddenly interrupted by the call to midday prayers that resounded from the local mosque. A reminder that there was a world beyond this little courtyard; my paradise for lunch. I remember all this but yet I can't recall how I felt, no matter how hard I try.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Hello old friend,

I was in Selcuk just last week! So seeing your post brings a bittersweet taste of a very memorable but too-short holiday. :)

Hope you have been well,
Cheryl

8:52 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

Hello, how have you been?

Did you enjoy Turkey? When you were in Selcuk did you make a short trip to Sirince? I have fond memories of that place, the people, a turtle and a dog...

Let's meet up soon?

12:34 am  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I have been good! Turkey was very enjoyable; Mike and I hope to visit the Eastern part the next time we are there. Unfortunately, we had no time to go to Sirince even though we were keen. But you can tell me more about "that place, the people, a turtle and a dog..." :) Yes, let's meet soon to catch up! I will text you.

In the meantime, have a good weekend!

9:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home