Sunday, February 22, 2009

Solo


Who am I alone?

Why is this little girl alone? Where are her parents? I find it difficult to describe myself and my life without referring to another person. And to a certain extent I think this stems from our very human desire for validation. I am my father's son, I am my mother's boy, I am a loved one to the people or person (surely there must be at least one) who love me, I am a buddy to my friends and I am a being struggling amidst humanity. After all, in King Lear, Shakespeare through Edgar philosophizes "When we our betters see bearing our woes, we scarcely think our miseries our foes". I used to seek solitude because I thought that was where I could find my true self. Now I've realised that even though fragmented, my true self is reflected in the people around me. Everything is relative, even our identity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home