Friday, February 08, 2008

Chop Suey


Pensive, in the least likely locality

Another Hopper influenced shot with the Leica. Many of Hopper's subjects share the theme of isolation in the midst of urban life. His solitary figures in the public or private interior settings appear vulnerable. A nude by a window gazes pensively outside; a woman in an Automat turns inwards, absorbed in her own thoughts. In Hopper's view of the city itself, the few figures that populate the vast urban space are reduced to insignificance. And it is this insignificance that we so often talk about, in the form of demographics, statistics and figures.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This shot reminds me of "Gas" most.

Actually, I'm looking forward to a shot which is inspired by Hopper's "Office in a Small City".

... that painting is so stark, but so hauntingly beautiful in all its loneliness.

5:18 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

Oh Gas? I never saw it that way, that's an interesting approach. I too would like to see a "Office in a Small City" photo too! Would you be taking one anytime soon?

12:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw the photo was "Gas". :)

(I suppose once a person starts appreciating Hopper, she tends to look at much of the city with Hopper-tinted lenses.)

Unfortunately, I'm not a photog and won't be able to do an "Office in a Small City" anytime soon. But I'll like to see you do one.

3:59 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

funny you should say that, I think I see it the other way round, the city reminds me of Hopper. I don't know if there is a difference. Most probably not.

And sorry, this blog doesn't do requests! haha

11:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home