Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Frozen


Stuck in the middle, but at least on an upward trend

I think this photo kind of describes the way I feel towards photography of late. During office hours, I have so many ideas popping up in my head but on the weekends, they all vanish. The long hours spent in the office makes almost every moment out of it inspirational, yet I don't take as many photos as I would like to. And since we are talking about inspiration, I was recently inspired (last night) by a short piece from Gueorgui Pinkhassov, describing his photos in my all time favourite photo book, Magnum Magnum.

It is foolish to change the vector of chaos. You shouldn't try to control it but fall into it.

An artist cannot be nourished by self will. Curiosity melts you down to the size of the lens' opening, so you can slip into the unknown. 'No one has gone that far before' - this is the only compliment for the insatiable imagination. Its not a sin to get lost. You should lose your way. Just be sure to find the way back.

The return after all is the most touching - like Brueghel's hunters coming back to the hearth or Rembrandt's prodigal son returning home. This is the heart of it all - at the end. But it starts, of course, with the feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home