Wednesday, August 31, 2005

"Home"


Got back to Aarhus at 5.30am this morning... I had been travelling for almost 24hours. My last day in Spain was all about travelling beacuse I made the stoopid mistake of choosing to fly out of Madrid instead of nearer Malaga. I caught the 7.30 train from Granada to Madrid which took about 7 hours. Reached Madrid at 2pm, realising that I had about 3 hours to before I needed to be at the airport, I checked my backpack into the locker and headed of to the Thyseen-Bornemisza Art Museum for a quick visit. It was refreshing, an oasis in the desert of my travel. I didn't have time for everything so I started from the end, the modern art section and stopped at the Impressionist. Good enough for me. The Prado almost killed me with its brilliant collection of Dutch Masters and Renaissance pieces.

The picture above is from my last night in Spain. I spent it sitting alone on the ramparts of the Alhambra watching the sun set on Granada and my Spanish Adventure. It was 9pm and there was not a tourist in sight (apart from me) and the place was dotted with just a handful of lovers. It was quiet, peaceful and beautiful. Just like how it was supposed to be. I sat there, thinking about my life, about Denmark, about Singapore, about why I decided to come on exchange, about travelling, how blessed I am to have travelled to so many places. That is how the Alhambra should have been, a place for quiet contemplation, a place where the Moorish Sultans could contemplate their lives, their next conquest and to recharge their spirits. A 1001 thoughts flooded my mind and with the cool breeze, the Sierra Nevada mountains behind me and this spectacular view before me, it was easy to sort them out and to give each the thorough attention it deserved. It was the same feeling that I had when I was alone in the Highlands of Scotland. And I swear that that feeling is an addictive high. Compelling you to travel the world in search of that special feeling. A moment of clarity and light heartedness.

I was glad to be back in Aarhus. Its the same kinda smile you have on your face when you reach Changi Airport after a long trip. I was surprised to have that feeling. Maybe Aarhus is more "home" than I would like to admit. Maybe its because the people here are so warm and friendly unlike in Spain. However, that feeling was somewhat underscored the moment I opened my room door and stared into the empty, dark space before me. Half wishing that WJ would jump out and hug me, welcoming me back. It was the same thing when I woke up after crashing on the bed. Slept only 3 hours cos I was hungry. I opened my eyes slowly, half hoping to see WJ sitting on the chair or lying beside me. But it was not to be. Instead, I was greeted by the sight of my 17 days worth of laundry and an empty refridgerator. NBCB!

1 Comments:

Blogger fabianlua said...

hey i just found out that donostia is san sebastian in basque

12:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home