Sunday, October 24, 2010

Street


Streetside bedside.

This photo was taken in the old city of Damascus. It was morning and the two boys were sleeping so soundly on the streets, their expressions peaceful and almost angelic. Around them, things were starting to get hectic but they just slept on, oblivious. I was initially thinking of cropping the photo tighter and by doing so, bringing the viewer closer to the boys. But then I remembered why I had taken this photo from this perspective. I remember not wanting to go too close to them because I was afraid I would rouse them. But I also remember that I did not go up close because I felt uncomfortable; as if going closer would be to intrude on their personal space. A space where I do not belong. And I think this distance or buffer between us is as much the subject of this photo as are the two boys. In a perfect world, this buffer should not exist but it does. Perhaps it is naive of me but I would like to think that this buffer exists because of a disparity in education and opportunities; not really because of income per se. Nevertheless, this buffer makes me uncomfortable and rightfully so. But now what?

2 Comments:

Blogger NatalieMaria said...

Beautiful and poignant photo. An important photo for the world to see.

7:33 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

Thanks Natalie =)

11:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home