Saturday, October 16, 2010

Beehive


So far away

Did you know that the houses are the same, just across the border from where we once stood? I didn't. I didn't know that they could be found elsewhere. At least the guidebook and guide didn't mention that they could. I thought I had left theses houses when we passed. Perhaps things have a knack of following me? Or maybe I am guilty of subconsciously revisiting what I have passed? Then again, it is not surprising to see these structures in a different land. After all, it is only a line that separates the two states, probably penciled in by a diplomat and then made concrete by the passage of time. They've named this place Baghdad. But it is far removed from the carnage and mayhem that now plagues that infamous city of the same name. Maybe they thought that a garden would grow here, in this dry arid land. Maybe to them, a name, a word, matters more than the thing itself; when we name, we hope. Now, the borders seem artificial as it starts to feel the same as that place. But there is one striking difference. Then there were two, now there is only one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home