Thursday, January 08, 2009

Circus


Entertained and Enthralled

On the last day with my guide Mohsen, he invited me to watch an Iranian circus troop that was in town. Ever mindful of the tricky Iranian custom of ta'arof, I politely declined twice and on the third time when he insisted I hurriedly agreed. I was surprised that he would invite me as it was supposed to be a family outing for him. Being the only foreigner at the circus, I attracted a fair bit of attention, perhaps more so than one or two of the circus clowns. The whole circus was a very simple affair without any fancy lighting or highly dangerous acts. It was just pure, back to basics, old school entertainment, quite the experience. Apart from introducing me to his family, driving me to and from my hotel to the circus, he also paid for my circus ticket and bought me a really good pizza dinner after the circus. I've always felt that kindness among strangers is a magic that cannot be commanded. I don't mean courtesy or good service, mere politeness. But something that touches you form someone who did not have to, was not expected to.

More photos here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home