Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Backside


In side Out.

I always like anonymous photos, they have a certain universality about it. I also like how in this photo no faces are visible but only backsides are shown; the backside of the people in the streets, the backside of the books and the backside of the the display window. There is nothing really unusual or unique about this photo and yet to me it has a certain je ne sais quoi. The window frame serves to contextualize but also dislocates. This coupled with the fact that the street scene is not native to me and the contrast of the scale of the books to the scale of the buildings further emphasises the disjointed feeling. Or maybe its simply because I am so used to being on the other side of the glass, looking in instead of gazing out. Whatever the case, I've always been curious to see how things appear to be from the other side; if only I could always have it both sides now.

2 Comments:

Blogger fabianlua said...

have u watched this movie by Edward Yang called "A One and a Two?" There's a boy who likes to take photos of people's backs, and he says that's because it is a side of ourselves we hardly see.

Yi Yi

8:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like it.. a certain je ne sais quoi indeed..

8:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home