Saturday, December 22, 2007

Rails


Jump the tracks

I love rail travel. I love the link between the start point and the destination, something bordering on an organic feel. On the train, you watch the landscape change and there is a greater sense of progression, of adventure and most definitely a greater sense of journey. Maybe the love for rail travel stems from my hatred for air travel. I can never sleep on planes. You go into an airport, board an aluminum tube, strap yourself into a seat and a couple of painful hours later you are at your destination; dazed and disoriented. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for romantic nostalgia.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i share your sentiments for rail travel. the staring at the changing landscape - natural, agricultural, industrial, urban.. very inspiring. the whole experience including the waiting at the station, watching the passengers get on/off, the arrival and the scrambling for luggage.. what is your most memorable train journey?
btw, have u seen seat61.com ? one day, i hope to finally embark on one of those singapore - london (ok maybe halfway to china first) journeys. probably over romanticised, but lets see if im foolish enough

4:14 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

Off hand I would say that my most memorable (encompassing both good and bad) train journey would be the one from cairo to aswan. And how about you?
I would love to do a Singapore to Europe journey but I fear I will never find the time... sighs. Although I must say that the Silk Road is very high on my "to do list" Anyway, the foolish aspects of such journeys will fade with hindsight and only leaving behind an unforgettable experience.

12:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home