Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Relations


Liz, giving me the cold shoulder.

Liz gave me the cold shoulder for thrusting my camera in her face this morning. She did stay at her usual spot in my room but refused to look in my direction. Liz and I have a relationship that I would term as very post-modern . Instead of a strict master/pet relationship we have a highly evolved relationship bordering on casual friendship. When she feels like it she sits for a photo, when I feel like it, I play ball with her etc etc. Think dress down friday all year long. As long as she knows who is the boss at the end of the day, she is pretty much free to do whatever she wants. You do don't you Liz? Yes. I think this relationship is very in keeping with the times. Society has evolved from a strict code of conduct to a more casual conduct centered around pragmatism. I think the renaissance of human fashion began with the invention of the t-shirt.

Apparently, my mom and some others think otherwise. I casually mentioned that I was going for law ball this friday over breakfast and mom got all worked up when I added that I wasnt' wearing a suit. And might I add, she's not the only one to kick up a big fuss about it. The only suit that I will wear to law ball is a tracksuit. Of course I won't be dressing in t-shirt and flipflops, tempting as it might be, but is a suit really necessary? I think not. Lets keep with the times, be casual and pragmatic. Instead of fretting over a dress code(or the lack of), lets focus on more important things, like having fun, lobbying for free flow or ensuring that there will be no corkage charge. I'll break out the Hugo Boss for something a little bit more important than a last minute law ball.

2 Comments:

Blogger fabianlua said...

Yeah, that's the way. Recently I've discussed the issue of social concepts of dress codes with three usually formally dressed friends - a Thai, a French and a Japanese. The Japanese was particularly disturbed that I wear t-shirts ALL the time, even in snowstorms (under a good coat, of course). I attended a conference wearing a light-colored suit because that was the only one I had...and I lost track of the number of times someone remarked on my lack of formality. At the moment I still don't get the idea of every wears the same black suit. Hopefully I never will.

3:27 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

Everyone wears the same because we want to be different by dressing alike. I think its a load of bullshit. Long LIve the T-shirt

9:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home