Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Reflections


I will move out of my flat in 6 days and every opportunity that I have to savour the view is seized. In the midst of all this packing and attempts to study, I manged to do some real thinking. Thinking about important stuff, like whether I should replace my 3.5 year old 6.3mp Canon 300D with a 30D or just buy the goddamn Leica M series that I've been dying to have since I first picked up a camera. And yes, I've even shamefully toyed with the notion of getting the Leica Edition Hermes series camera. I know that getting a film camera seems a bit retrogressive but photography is an art (of sorts) and art is never logical. That's the beauty of it. But of course a digital camera is more practical and some point&shoot cameras now have more megapixel than mine and of course the shutter count on my aging 300D is another issue blah blah blah. As of now, I have yet to come to a conclusion on this important issue, but I've managed to conclude some other trivial points in the process...
1. That Home like many other 4 letter words is an elusive and broad concept. Often spoken of but rarely defined.
2. That the utilitarian/pragamatic freak in me hates long silences on the phone or skype because it defeats the whole purpose of skyping or phoning.
3. That we only cherish the things we are about to lose.
4. That my insecurity is manifested in the numerous photos that I take of the places I love.
5. That points 3 and 4 just sceam Memento Mori.
6. That everything is a delicate balance, kept in check with the right touch. Just like pottery, too much pressure and the clay warps. Too little pressure and everything splatters. I think all potters have to fight the human urge to over control their medium. Harmony. Going with the flow; to suit the clay's delicate nature.
7. That everyone is now talking about pupilage, internships and that most vulgar "C" word, career. A clear indicator that exchange is coming to an end.
8. That although my days on exchange are numbered, at least the days are getting longer.

4 Comments:

Blogger BetaRish said...

Fabulous photos... good luck with your move.

5:47 am  
Blogger Jammy said...

THANKS RISH!

5:55 am  
Blogger Flowing Water said...

I agree. We cherish the most things we are about to lose. :(

What's the C word?

9:05 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

hahaha the C word! Career lah!

1:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home