Thursday, November 24, 2005

Reflections...


Outside looking in, which side of the mirror are you on?
We should let our imagination decide. But reality always has a way of outdoing our imagination.

Exam times are always good for reflection because the mind would more than willingly wander away from the dreary books. I have been thinking...

1. I really love the life here. Apart from my exam campaign, I spend most of my time reading books from the well stocked state library, Russell to Rousseau, Satre to Salman Rushdie, Picasso to Pissaro, Hopper to Hobbes, Industrial age to Ice Age etc etc... And the funny thing is that I feel that this is the best form of education I have received in my 23 years on planet earth. If I'm not reading, I'm out in the woods, or at the beach (not now when its freezing), walking around downtown....

2. How many of us really want to be lawyers because we want to Right the Wrong or Help the Helpless? I've been blog surfing and I've realised that so many of my peers would rather do something else, like being a foreign correspondent in some other country or a housewife or a banker etc etc. Which makes me wonder why the hell are we putting ourselves through all this shit. Well for me, its the money. Or the potential money. That sounds more correct. Nothing is certain in life apart from death and taxes.
Well actually, deep down inside, I do feel that there is a sense of justice that is yelling for nourishment and nurture. Maybe by nature, I do want to Right the Wrong or Help the Helpless and erradicate injustice from the face of the earth but perhaps due to societal influence such as materialism etc etc that feeling has been suppressed. Well assuming everything else constant, if the above mentioned societal influence were removed, I am pretty sure that I would use my legal knowledge/expertise in the area of law enforcement. Yup, to be a Police officer. Why not? I mean thats the best way to help the masses! And on top of that, I would like to be a police officer in Germany! Here are the more elaborate reasons. And to help me move towards this utopian idea, (not that i am recanting my materialistic believes, but I do believe that that inner voice needs to be entertained once in a while) I have taken steps to improve my German.

3. That reading 3 pages in 2 hours is still considered progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home