Saturday, September 17, 2005

Memories.

I am really reluctant to post an entry without a photo. It seems like I have really deviated from my original intention of a photo blog. I keep using words to supplement my photos which shouldn't be the case. Unfortunately I have not and doubt I ever will be able to capture emotions, feelings in an image. It is ironic how the best images that I have are those in my head. Oh well... A picture paints a 1000 words but I'm not going to write a 1000 words now.

As my birthday draws closer I feel more and more homesick. Yet at the same time I feel more and more at home here too. I have friends here, who are so ready to celebrate my birthday for me and who even remembered that its my birthday this weekend even though I only mentioned it in passing a long time back. I know I sound like a confused bimbotic airhead who can't decide how I actually feel ( or which pair of shoes I prefer) but I think we must concede that Man is complex enough to encompass a plethora of feelings, thoughts and emotions at any single time.

It also dawned upon me that this would be my first birthday away from home. Which made me wonder why I feel this way... What are birthdays? Birthdays, to me, are memories. Memories of the years passing you by. Memories of family steamboats, memories of getting drunk with your best friends, memories of things that your friends did to you on your special day(that should remain unspoken for eternity), memories of quiet dinners and good conversation, memories of heart to heart talks, memories of your first legal night at Zouk, memories of waking up on your birthday feeling loved because the first words you hear are "happy birthday darling", so many memories.

Are habits the result of memories? Or the attempt to preserve memories? I miss home because I miss doing all these things which I would do if I were back home. I miss the habit of celebrating my birthday in Singapore.

I suppose it is time to make new memories. I suppose it is time to start new habits.

Don't get me wrong, its not that I am having a shit ass time here in Denmark. On the contrary things are good here, very good. Its just that after watching the video from home (thanks matt! thanks guys!) the familiarity of the setting, the faces, the voices, the sounds just drove home the fact that the 2 key elements of my birthday celebrations are not here with me, loved ones & buddies.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Ding said...

hi jeremy... we miss you too!! yes.. i took ya li bro out! hahah.. yes.. we went to velvet. hahah.. your 18 year old bro.. [ok, jk. its not wat it seems] hahha. ok, he said you asked him to, and you noe wat he called me?---AUNTIE! puah!
" auntie can i follow you to members? auntie, can you bring me to velvet?"
and he introduced me to his frens as auntie too!! *wail....
hmmm.. maybe i really am.. maybe i should get married soon.. hahahah.. baah. HAPPY BIRTHDAY again JEREMY...

12:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEREMY!!
Hope you had fun celebrating your 23rd birhday creating new and cherished memories!! Take care!

8:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the card that I sent would take superbly long to reach because I sent it really late, so... here's a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you! Hope you had fun with Shalene and Tim! :)

12:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home