Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hola! Barcelona!


First night in Barcelona, got ripped off at this stoopid pricey cafe along Las Ramblas. We were hungry, tired and grumpy after knocking on 3 different doors before getting a room for the night.
Barcelona, its a different city day and night. Unfortunately it is just too crime ridden. In the day, after 11am, its a beautiful sunny city with lotsa cool Gaudi buildings, vibrant art scene and fantastic museums. The downside is that it is swarming with tourist. Its impossible to get a clear photo without another tourist in it.
At night, 11pm to 11am its a crazy place, drug dealers, dodgy characters, police sirens wailing etc etc. Barcelona's charming alleys and small streets become dangerous at night. I know I make it sound like Pre-Batman Gotham City but I don't think it is that far off anyhow.
Pickpockets. Bloody pain in the arse. On the 2nd day, we were at the metro station at about 9.30am, yes before the safe hours, waiting for our train. Two guys sat down on the bench next to me. When the train arrived we all got up and walked to the nearest train door. One of them walked in front of me and when i just stepped onto the train, he dropped his lighter at my fee. He pretended to grapple at my feet for his lighter but ended up holding my feet down. Meanwhile his sneaky accomplice was fishing my wallet out of my front pocket. Yes Front! not BACK! Once he had my wallet, the one at my feet let go and both of them ran off with my wallet. I knew that there was something amiss when he started grappling my feet instead of picking up the lighter proper and so I stupidly chased after the duo. Caught up with them on the desserted platform, snatched my wallet from one of them and ran off back into the train. I heard the guy say something in Spanish but I just couldn't be bothered. Probably the equivalent of our NBCBKNN! Stupid thing to do cos I only had a hundred bucks in my wallet and they could have stabbed me or assaulted me. The only bummer would be that my Spanish trip would be ended prematurely. Oh well anyway its over now. But poor Wenyi, the guy with the big feet here, had to hear me whine and kao bei about the whole incident for a long long time. But hey! He just stood there and did nothing throughout the whole incident!!!!! and he didn't get me coffee cups from Finland! hohohoho! WENDY! tsktsk... So I guess it all evens out now eh, even stevens...
Anyway here are the Barcelona pictures, still sorting out the rest and loading them up.

Copy & Paste please
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/traffickjem/album?.dir=/6299&.src=ph&.tok=ph6l_jDBgSO5ve.s

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home