Monday, March 21, 2011

Dimashq


Early morning shadows

I remember this morning. I remember pulling the heavy iron handle on the door that separated the hotel from the city. As I stepped out into the alley I realized that the whole city was quiet. It was still early. Standing in the dusty alley, I silently mouthed "Damascus" and as I did, I felt the weight of the word on my lips; the weight of civilizations. "Damascus", the very name that has rested on the lips of the multitude that came before me. A name that is as old as history. And I recall feeling a sense of awe and disbelief, for I could hardly believe that I was in this ancient city I had heard and read so much about. Soon, I was walking down the alley where I made a right turn at the end and saw the first shadow of the morning, on a wall that had seen a thousand sunrises. So this is what greatness means, being able to withstand the passage of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home