Sunday, March 06, 2011

Curiosity


Contentment. For now, the wrapper will suffice.

One day, baby Etienne will realize that having the ice-cream is a much sweeter deal than just having the wrapper. But for now, he is contented to play with the shiny crinkly wrapper while mommy chomps away on the ice-cream. I like spending long afternoons with the godson, watching him learn about the world and himself bit by bit. To him, everything is new and should be taken on with relish, his actions driven by sheer curiosity. It is refreshing to see such unadulterated emotions and most unfortunate that we lose quite a fair bit of that as we grow older; Our penchant for curiosity being superseded by habit and fear, our true emotions tempered by the need for appearances. Watching baby Etienne seems to breathe new life into this world or at least my world. And perhaps that is what the next generation is supposed to be, a breath of fresh air that renews the earth, recharging the old with hope that we are not all that lost; For we once were.

2 Comments:

Anonymous A Soothsayer said...

I feel the same way when I watch my son discover his world, I hope he keeps that sense of wonder and excitment and I hope I can catch a little of it too. I hope you're right about future generations.

11:38 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

Thanks for sharing, I really hope I am right about future generations. Really. =)

11:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home