Saturday, January 01, 2011

Reflections


An end to the parties; A Reflection.

And so a new year has begun. Instead of trying to formulate some lofty resolutions, I am here sitting in my chair wondering where and when I picked up the habit of starting a sentence with "And so...". Perhaps that can be my first resolution, to discover where and when I picked up grammatical quirks. But that would be too retrospective a resolution, i.e. one that dwells in the past for too long. I have never been a big fan of New Year Eve celebrations simply because less the hype, it is like any other eve of a public holiday. There is no religious, cultural or emotional significance attached to it. Nevertheless, I think there is some intrinsic value in New Year's being a sort of a milestone for taking stock of the past year. Which brings me on to the bit where I start to reflect on the past year, so here goes. The past year has been a crazy year and sometimes I wonder how I made it. It has been a year of heartbreak, betrayal, disappointment. Empty words were spoken and promises broken. At some point, I couldn't help but doubt myself and the people I had let into my life. Yet 2010 was also a year where a dream was brought to life and given a fighting chance (what more can we ask of dreams), where I was given new responsibilities, where new bonds were forged and more importantly it was the year where possibilities which may carry on into the new year and the years to come first appeared. I know I tend to indulge myself in the possibilities a tad too much but this time round it feels, different. So that is my 2010 summed up in a nutshell, just the way it should be. I am looking forward to what 2011 has to bring and somehow it is already starting off on a very good note. Happy New Year folks!

3 Comments:

Blogger whyshallblog said...

Very pensive and a little sad. It makes me think about how you've grown, intellectually and emotionally, and how we all of us grow in various ways and separately from one another. We are creatures of community, but hardly do we stay close enough with someone for an extended period of our lives.

Love the picture that accompanies "Beginners".

11:05 am  
Blogger Jammy said...

Yup, we live a dislocated and disjointed life. That is the price of modernity.

11:18 pm  
Anonymous lactoseintolerance said...

i think you're crafty and phony.

5:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home