Saturday, December 18, 2010

Chairs


Have a seat or two; Tripoli.

I've always had a soft spot for chairs. If I had the space, I'm sure that I would be the Mia Farrow of chairs, adopting all the abandoned chairs that I come across. Being a bit of a word geek or an amateur etymologist, depending on how you look at it, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the word "Chair" has its origins in 13 century French "Chaiere" which in turn is rooted in the Latin word "Cathedra" or "seat". What a noble heritage for such a humble implement. I think the chair is often taken for granted, somewhat like the use of a cliche; chided for being too generic but too readily reached for when in need.

"The chair is a very difficult object. Everyone who has tried to make one knows that. There are endless possibilities and many problems - the chair has to be light, it has to be strong, it has to be comfortable. It is almost easier to build a skyscraper than a chair."
~Mies van der Rohe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home