Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Baker


Simplicity, simple staple. Payment in kind.

I love the smell of freshly baked bread and the way it crackles and crumbs when you break off a chunk to stuff in your mouth. In fact, it was the smell of freshly baked bread that lead me to this little bakery in Shiraz. In Iran, there is always a long queue at the baker's just before meal time because bread is an essential part of the Iranian diet, especially the flat bread. I joined the queue for my share of bread but was waved ahead by every person in the queue until I reached the head, another instance of wonderful Iranian hospitality. The baker refused to accept payment for the bread and I resorted to taking his photo as payment in kind although knowing full well that I will never be able to repay that kind-ness.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should rename your blog to "The New Adventures of Jeremy". - Winston

12:14 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

What so new about these adventures? Anyway, every adventure by definition is "new"? hahaha Dun worry Winton, I didn't BCC that said email =D

1:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the smell of bread too! must have been a really beautiful experience..

12:44 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

My entire trip to iran was a beautiful experience

12:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home