Saturday, November 24, 2007

Reflections


Glass tower in a Glass Case under a Glass roof; Play on.

Checked out the Neues Bauen Exhibition at the National Museum this afternoon with Dad. For a free exhibit, it is pretty decent. As it was a spur of the moment decision after lunch, I didn't have a proper camera with me. But as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you and I suppose the N73 had to do (who needs a hasselblad or leica rite...Rite.). I like this photo of Mies van der Rohe's 1922 Glass Skyscraper because only the lower half of the skyscraper is distinct. The upper half of it is lost to the reflections of the modern extension of the museum; like how the works of the Neues Bauen architects continue to subtly influence our present environment. There are hints of the past in everything modern. I like reflections, I probably have a million blog post titled that, because to a certain extent, almost everything is a reflection of or reflects something. I thumbed through my Mies van der Rohe book just now and came across this quote which i think is quite appropriate,

"My experiments with a glass model helped me along the way and I soon recognized that by employing glass, it is not an effect of light and shadow one wants to achieve, but a rich interplay of light reflections."

1 Comments:

Blogger fiona said...

*ooo* pretty new exhibits at national museum again! *yay*!

10:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home