Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Verpan


A thousand splendid suns

Not quite what Saeb-e-Tabrizi had in mind but it does the job. I love my Verner Panton lamp not only because its Danish, but for its timeless quality. If i'm not wrong, the design dates back to the 1950s. Not as immortal as Le Corbusier's Chaise Lounge or a Van der Rohe Barcelona piece but it most definately holds its own. I have a soft spot for Danish design, for its understated cool factor and because it is both functional and timeless, think Arne Jacobsen's Egg chair. Good design never goes out of style. Now if only I can get a Verner Panton S chair for my room.

2 Comments:

Blogger fabianlua said...

I have to disagree with the choice of chair. Not the fault of the chair designer, but rather many restaurant/hotel/cafe/bar designers who have misused and abused the chair. Even a classic can turn tired, and I think the Panton plastic injection chair has become one (instead of being an eternal).

5:10 am  
Blogger Jammy said...

You are right. The injection mould chair is not an eternal/immortal. I may not have made my stand clear. It is a bit of psychadelic funk that I like to carry over into the 00s. But like everything else, chairs should be considered in context. When you're back, I'll invite you over and then you can decide if the chair fits my room ;)

3:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home