Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Truth


An L for an L

The truth is that I love my L lens. And I am sure the photographer here shares my sentiment. The Botanic Gardens was filled with couples taking wedding photos. Off hand I counted 4 within the vicinity; all sharing the same backdrop. What ever happened to originality. What difference is that from a studio shot then? But I suppose there aren't that many places in Singapore to go to for your vanilla wedding shots. I suppose the sublimal message that I should have picked up yesterday was that all the couples were young, like around my age. But that didn't really hit home until yet another friend informed me this evening that he was engaged. A day after my good friend informed me of his engagement. My goodness.

I always thought I would be the first amongst my mates to get hitched. I've always walked the establishment path. I did my Os and went to JC, while all my friends went to Art school or poly. I did my NS, with the same bochup attitude as 90% of my peers. After NS, I went on to a local Uni, sans scholarship, nothing Ivy League or Oxbridge. So here comes the clincher, because at or around this time I'm supposed to meet the girl of my dreams, fall madly in love, graduate, buy a 5 room HDB flat and live happily ever after. ok ok so who am I kidding. With my track record, it is clear that I'm a laggard in this department.
Yes, I can hear the gahmen planner screaming in anguish. In fact, the truth is that I'm probably going to be the last of the lot to get hitched, if ever. I suppose there are measures that can be taken to improve my chances. First, I need to get attached. Secondly, I need to STAY attached. Thirdly, I need to start saving; which means no spending on cameras, lenses, books, car stuff, travelling and boozing. Lastly, the most painful and unbearable of actions, I need to take down the Porsche poster on my wall and replace it with one of a family sedan. *ouch*

At this point in time, I am questioning the purpose of this blog post. I suppose the main message of this post is to congratulate all my newly engaged friends and all my soon to be engaged friends. You guys have chosen a path that will bring you tons of happiness, of course only after you have agreed on who gets to hold the TV remote control. And I suppose the subplot of this post is that I seem to be happy enough with cars, cameras, gadgets, boozing and travelling. I don't suppose I am any happier than all of you. In fact, I am sure I'm not. But I'm contented with this level of happiness because the truth is that there is no The Truth. Its all relative.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! doin this "meet the girl of my dreams, fall madly in love, graduate, buy a 5 room HDB flat and live happily ever after" at 25 + for a guy quite young no? i want to get married at 30, but 1st i hv to find a bf *lol*

wa 5 room u good leh! most ppl i noe max 4 ony cos young ma.. and no need to take down the porche porsche poster la.. jus find a girl who alrady has a car den settle alrady lor! and it's good to dream ma!

c :)

11:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home