Monday, December 11, 2006

The Herd



Seperate, yet inseparable.

The rise of the Individual can probably be traced back to the advent of Renaissance Humanism. Where the likes of Descartes preached Cogito ergo sum, I think therefore I am; Individual Thought. But where is that individualism today? I often moan about how modern society is in some ways regressive and perhaps this is one rare occassion where my moaning actually bears some truth. Where is the indivualism today? After surviving the onslaught of communism, we are now instructed en mass by advertising campaigns on what to buy and what is good. Economics rather than passion now dictates how we should be employed, gainfully instead of purposively. Maybe the harsh reality is that the only way humans can progress is through herding. Nevertheless, just for this holiday, I would like to believe otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home