Thursday, March 16, 2006

Danish Weekend


I've been in Denmark for close to 9 months and I have only just experienced a Danish weekend. It was realy nice of Charlotte to invite me home for the weekend. We had to take a train to Odense and then change to a bus to get to her home-island. It was wonderful staying with a Danish family. Her mom was a typical mom, stuffing me with lots of Danish food and really good desserts. It was cool to see how the Danes live outside of student dormitories. I am really fortunate to have such an experience. The house was situated on the beach which meant daily walks along the beach and watching the sunset either from the living room or on the beach. Entertainment entailed watching pheasants, swans, ducks and other birds on the waterfront and sitting round the fireplace. On Saturday we drove around the other islands and visited the town centre. At night, the family took me out for a superb dinner. Sunday was spent visiting a castle and just enjoying some good ole family time. The weekend was also marked by a new arrival to the family. I felt really privileged to be part of such an intimate family affair. If I never travel again, I would be satisfied. It would have been a shame going through a year in a country without ever getting a chance to experience how the locals really live.

The Danish countryside is also the seaside. In Denmark you are never more than an hour away from the sea. Although the temperature stayed constantly below -5, I would consider it fantastic weather by Danish standards. The skies were clear, endowing the sun with the Midas touch, turning everything that it touched into gold.

More photos here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home