Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Freedom


From the rooftops.

This photo was taken in the Christian quarter of Damascus, near Bab Touma. I can still remember the sound of the streets as I walked down the winding alleys. In fact I can still very vividly remember the sights and sounds and even the smells of the places I visited across Syria. I remember the nights spent dining on the rooftop at Naranj, my favourite middle eastern restaurant. I think that is what travel does to you, it deposits a piece of every land that you visit deep within your soul. But the Syria of my memory is not the Syria that we know today, torn by fighting and broken ceasefires. It pains me to see a place I once knew torn up by artillery shells and stained with blood. Every single human being deserves to have a life free from oppression, freedom. I pray that freedom, the lasting kind, will one day flourish in Syria. And hopefully soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home