Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dragon


This used to be my playground.

Playgrounds like this are nearly extinct in Singapore, just like dragons. I have fond memories of sliding down a concrete slide and running about in the sand. I remember the smell of rust on the "ribs" of the dragon as I crawled from head to tail, often accompanied by the sound of my friends on the creaking swings. Playgrounds these days are just not quite the same. They are too sanitized.

"Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows."
~John Betjeman

4 Comments:

Anonymous jes said...

and sand! i loved sand, playground sand.. which is coarser than beach sand, the smell of damp sand..which i'd dig to form tunnels, then all the 'dirt' in my hands and all over my clothes..

I know the rusty smell..

there's so many different textures, smells, that helped to shape my senses..

where did you see this dragon?

2:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this picture sure brings back childhood memories. Used to sit on a piece of cardboard and slide down the slides, which was made of concrete and the tiles used were those tiny squarish ones. It was really fun! We'll need to look back at some of these memories to evade from this fast paced eating-us-up world at times!

12:12 am  
Blogger Jammy said...

Yes, we always need to look back, to escape and to remind ourselves of who we truly are. If not, we end up becoming who this "fast paced eating us up world" wants us to be and not who we are. Being, is important.

10:25 am  
Blogger Levi Like the Jeans said...

Hey your amazing! I am making a reccomended artists section and would love to include your link
Check my website out if you want levisunzipped.com

2:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home