Friday, November 28, 2008

Fundamental


Smile! Bang Bang. Former US Embassy, Tehran.

Just watched Body of Lies and I feel like going back to the middle east almost immediately, even though I was there just 3 weeks ago. The stereotyping of middle eastern people as terrorist or fundamentalist was expected in a movie with such a title. We just have to remember that not all are so; a fundamental worth keeping. I suppose this photo, as compared to the other photos of Iran that I have posted, is more in line with what most people have in mind when I mention Iran. On a separate note, I was pleasantly surprised that the movie began with a line from one of Auden's best poems. But for me, the most striking line of September 1, 1939 is:

For the error bred in the bone
Of each woman and each man
Craves what it cannot have,
Not universal love
But to be loved alone.
~ W.H. Auden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home