Saturday, September 08, 2007

Transparency


There's always time to stay in touch.

This photo was snapped along Istanbul's Istiklal Caddesi, near Taksim Square, the scene of mass protest just a couple of days before. The protestors were out in force to ensure that Turkey remained a secular state. Nevertheless, through a democractic poll, Mr Gul, a self-proclaimed-reformed-islamist was elected as Turkey's next president. I hope that there won't be any more headlines on this matter.

Talking about headlines, the recent news reports about the unrest in Myanmar brought to mind a book I recently read on the histories of Burma. In it, our nation and first pm were mentioned on more than one occasion in close association with Ne Win, the military junta's founding father. I've always been an advocate of Trade and an advocate against embargoes and isolationism. Gunboat dipomacy opened Japan to trade and although Adm Perry's modus operandi is not at all commendable Japan did greatly benefit from the exposure, in the long run. Some of my friends feel very strongly about trading with Myanmar (yes, you Fab). I suppose I echo Mr Thant Myint-U views:
"So what is the future? There are no easy options, no quick fixes, no grand strategies that will create democracy in Burma overnight or even over several years. If Burma were less isolated, if there were more trade, more engagement - more tourism in particular- and if this were coupled with a desire by the government for greater economic reform, a rebuilding of state institutions, and a slow opening up of space for civil society, then perhaps the conditions for political change would emerge over the next decade or two." ~ The River of Lost Footsteps, Thant Myint-U

I think Mr Thant's views can be loosely summed up under two headings. Trade and Transparency. Don't worry, I'm not about to go all Glasnost and Perestroika on you all, but I do feel strongly about TT; and that they go hand in hand. Having said that, I do also hold the view that the hand in hand factor only comes in at a later stage. There must be an influx of trade before any transparency will materialise. However, I don't think that Myanmar's problem now is with trade. There are many nations who are willing to trade with her in spite of the populist view that trade with a military state is a mortal sin. I think the question is when if ever will Myanmar's military junta embrace the crucial element of Transparency? Your guess is as good as mine. I think it only will, when it is confident of the fact that transparency does not always equate to fragility, just like a police riot shield.

2 Comments:

Blogger fabianlua said...

Well for a while I did believe in us not trading with the Burmese junta, but over time I've come to realize that so long as Thailand and China continue to do so, it is pointless for us not to.

Although ASSK has objected to another T - Tourism, I believe it is a good way to bring Burma forward and more awareness to the issues.

I have heard good things about the book The River of Lost Footsteps - meant to read it but haven't gotten down to it yet.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother talking about Burma if I'm not doing anything about it.

11:22 pm  
Blogger Jammy said...

I too wonder why I talk about a lot of things and end up doing nothing. I empathise. I can lend you the book. Its a good read. Although the usual caveats about condensed history applies.

10:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home