Saturday, October 22, 2005

No! norwegian. no


Norway was fantastic but the flight to and fro wasn't. Any of you intending to go to Norway, DO NOT fly by www.norwegian.no !!!!! My flight to Oslo from Copenhagen was first cancelled, then delayed for 3 hours. And my return flight!!!!! It was delayed by 4 fours! That really shatters the myth of Scandinavian puncuality doesn't it.
The flight delay to Oslo took away my intended afternoon sightseeing plans. But the coup de grace of the whole fiasco was the delay back to Copenhagen. My original flight was 9.25pm arriving at CPH airport at 10.25 giving me plenty of time to catch the direct midnight train to Aarhus. Even if the plane was delayed for 1 hour or so, I could still make the 1am direct train to Aarhus. BUT my flight left Oslo at 12.40am, arriving at 01.40am which meant that I had missed both trains back to Aarhus. So here, the adventure begins. I took the 02.44am train from the airport to Copenhagen central station, hoping to get a connecting train back to Aarhus. How naive of me to entertain such thoughts. Enroute I was informed by the kind conductor that the next train to Aarhus was at 05.00 am. My heart sank upon hearing the news and it must have shown too clearly on my face because he gave me a sympathetic smile as if to say "its been a long day eh"
Upon arriving at Copenhagen central station, I discovered that the main hall was shut and that there was no where decent to wait out the remaining 2 hours before my train would arrive. As if things couldn't get any worse, it started to rain. My thoughts of waiting it out on the unsheltered platform were immediately shelved. I heaved my bags on to my aching shoulders and headed to the nearby 7-11 to get a cup of coffee before I froze to death or fall asleep and risk having everything stolen. After getting my cup of coffee I sat on the steps to the main entrance of the train station and facing Tivoli gardens, I waited.
The night is an interesting time. As the cockroaches emerge from the cracks of the streets under the cover of darkness, so do the parasites of society emerge from the cracks of civilisation. I saw two fights, lots of homeless people and countless drunks. I sat on the cold steps of the train station, sipping my rapidly cooling coffee and watched the movie we call "life" unfold in front of me.
Even when the fight between the taxi driver and the non paying customer got so close, to the point where I could hear their hearts racing, I just sat there and continued watching. Motionless, like a gargoyle keeping vigil. Too tired to move, too exhausted to say anything. But too much caffeine in my blood to doze off and pretend that it was all just a bad dream. I wish I could be like the homeless drunk lying down next to me. Sleeping. Oblivious. He had such a peaceful look on his face. The kind of cheap solace that you find at the bottom of beer bottles.
As the taxi driver went back to his taxi to take a weapon and as the bleeding ex-customer ran off, I put my empty cup of coffee down between my legs. I looked to my left and saw that beside the sleeping homeless drunk was a similar coffee cup. Void of coffee, instead containing a few coins.
So, I had become a creature of the night. No longer human, just a shadowy form taking shelter from the cold and the rain. Trying to stay alive. At least I knew what I was trying to stay alive for. But what about my temporary brethren lying sprawled beside me? Us united by the lack of a home tonight and by empty coffee cups. I wonder what reduced him to this state? How did he fall through the gaps of one of the world's best welfare system? I knew what reduced me to this state. A cheap inefficient budget airline.
As I was harshly rebuking myself for turning left into the Airport station instead of turning right into the Copenhagen Airport Hilton when I had the chance to, the doors of the train station hall opened. I hastily crushed the coffee cup, terminating my brief but poignant association with the night and headed into the station, into the dawn.
A three hour train ride awaited me but by then I had already been travelling for 14 hours. 3 hours was nothing. It was the total amount of sleep that I had over the past 2 nights, considering that I took an overnight train from Bergen to Oslo and that I can never sleep well on trains.
I guess this trip was an eyeopener in more ways than one. No regrets. But No way will i fly norwegian.NO again. And NO, nobody dropped any coins in my coffee cup.

4 Comments:

Blogger bikwei said...

you know... most people think the homeless are poor things who need help and not parasites... at least i do. no matter what reduced them to that state. to not have a roof over your head is a terrible and sad thing. and i guess u understood that for 2 hrs at least? haha take care!

1:44 am  
Blogger Jammy said...

Agreed. No offence to any homeless people who might read my blog =D. Perhaps "parasites" was too harsh a word. But not all the homeless are poor things. Perhaps I have yet to attain mother theresa's empathy. But after spending a few hours al fresco at night, I do empathise with them more now. Anyway parasites do include cheats, thieves, non-paying taxi customers and drunks. And I think I do fall into the last category occasionally. Cheers!

7:26 am  
Blogger Molly Coddle said...

Haha it was a good read Jem.

11:44 pm  
Blogger V said...

I loved reading about your adventure! Thank you.

3:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home