Monday, May 16, 2005

Lost in Translation


For relaxing times, make it Suntory time...
Chanced upon a few bottles of Suntory whisky at this restaurant in CHIJMES today.
Made me think about the Movie Lost in Translation. Such an ordinary movie, with no thrills
no spills, no special effects etc yet somewhat profound. I really loved the ending, (the bit where Bob caught up with Charlotte and whispered something in her ear before leaving) it really reminded me of the ending in Dicken's Great Expectations where it is deliberately left uncertain and open to interpretation. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...
Anybody care to share their views on the ending?

2 Comments:

Blogger Molly Coddle said...

I think they are going to meet for a rendezvous. But in any case, I thought it displayed the power of framing a story perfectly: only choosing to show parts that you want. What I'm trying to say is: What gets left out is so important! Sometimes it draws more attention that way, to what you want to say.

12:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He whispered, "Imagine the number of cinema goers we are going to ripoff from producing this overrated movie".

10:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home